Monday, August 22, 2011

Is a Half Marathon Only a Pipe Dream???

So, I am running on the treadmill today and I am thinking that I may be absolutely insane!

I started the Couch to 5k running program (C25K) exactly 1 month ago. This is a program that I believe in. It is a program that I did in 2007 and know that the program works. So, when I started the program again, I knew that this would help jump start my weight loss and help me to enjoy cardio again:)

I am a runner...I may not be fast and it may not always be pretty, but I hit the treadmill 3 times a week, regardless! I hear so many people say that running is therapeutic, that it clears their mind and is a big stress reliever...HA!!! Those are the people who have been running for awhile and who are in shape, or at least in much better shape than I am! I am here to tell you that not all runners feel this way!

To me, running is NOT therapeutic! I spend my half hour on the treadmill focusing on not dying...not tripping and falling off of the treadmill...or better yet, not throwing up! And yet I press on.

Why? Because I know that one day I will get over the threshold and I will enjoy running again. Just not today!! And probably not tomorrow either!

Despite not loving it, I have set a goal for myself and I do NOT give up. I signed up for my first 5k last week. October 1, I will run the Freedom Run in Shepherdstown. I do not have a goal as far as my time is concerned. At this point I just want to finish it, preferably running the entire time. Not dying or not vomiting will just be icing on the cake:) 

That being said, when I started C25K I decided that a 5k would be a starting point for me. It would lead me to a 10k, and I have even gone as far as to say that I plan to train for a half marathon next year. As I got into a 5 minute stretch today, I started to think I may be insane! 3 miles is one thing (and no small feat in my opinion)...but 13 miles???

13 miles?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah that is still my goal, but I won't lie to you...I am scared shitless!!! And I am full of self doubt... I don't believe in sugarcoating anything and I don't believe in letting my self doubt stop me from achieving my goals. Giving up is not an option.

Stay tuned <3











No comments:

Post a Comment